[mythtv-users] OT: Prioritizing Network Traffic?

G Venkataraman gvenkat at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 01:52:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Greg Hermsen <g.hermy15 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a setup where I watch MythTV on a remote frontend, connect over a
> 5ghz, 802.11n connection.  The signal strength is good, but occassionally,
> the video gets a little choppy.  My router allows for prioritizing network
> traffic by configuring WISH (Wireless Intelligent Stream Handling)
> settings.  I can set:
>
>    Priority - Background/Best Effort/Video/Voice
>
>  BK: Background (least urgent).
> BE: Best Effort.
> VI: Video.
> VO: Voice (most urgent).
>
>    Protocol - Any/TCP/UDP/Both/ICMP/Other
>
> Host 1 IP Range
>  The rule applies to a flow of messages for which one computer's IP
> address falls within the range set here. Host 1 Port Range The rule
> applies to a flow of messages for which host 1's port number is within the
> range set here. Host 2 IP Range The rule applies to a flow of messages for
> which the other computer's IP address falls within the range set here. Host
> 2 Port Range The rule applies to a flow of messages for which host 2's
> port number is within the range set here.
>
> Does anybody know how I would need to set these rules to optimize my
> network for Myth?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

I use the following WISH settings/rules on my D-Link DIR-655 802.11n
wireless  router to prioritize my MythTV wireless network traffic and it
works like a charm.

Name: MythTV
Protocol: TCP (6)
Host 1 IP Range: 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Host 1 Port Range: 0 to 65535
Host 2 IP Range: 192.168.2.45 to 192.168.2.45
Host 2 Port Range: 6543 to 6543

I left the default values for the "Host 1" related settings and use the
"Host 2" related settings for my MythTV backend server. 192.168.2.45 is the
IP address of my MythTV backend server and 6543 is the TCP port on which
mythbackend listens on. "Voice High" is the highest (most urgent) of the
available priorities and hence when I stream high bitrate videos, no one
else can get anything useful done on the wireless network in my home. If you
encounter this and allowing other things to happen on the wireless network
is important to you, you can adjust the priority down to "Voice Low" or
"Video High" or "Video Low" (or the equivalent on your router) and see if
the quality of video streaming is sufficient enough.

-=Venkat=-