[mythtv-users] OT: SATA errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 9 00:54:53 UTC 2009

George Mari wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>> I know this is off-topic, but I figured someone here would know.  My
>> Myth MBE (Mythbuntu 8.10 x86_64) seems to be in a really bad state
>> right now.  It was fine last night, but tonight I noticed that when I
>> was SSH'd in, I was getting errors suddenly about the file system
>> being read-only.  So I figured I'd reboot.  When I did, I got some
>> messages about having to run fsck manually, and every service that
>> tried to start would error out saying that the service user didn't
>> exist (like "www-apache" for example).
>>
>> I was able to get the box to come up in rescue mode and I ran the
>> fsck option that came up.  When I did, I started seeing errors like
>> the following:
>>
>> ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x6 SErr 0x90202 action 0x3 frozen
>> ata1.00: irq_stat 0x01400000, PHY RDY changed
>
> I saw this error on a brand-new frontend I built last year.  Turned
> out to just be a loose SATA cable.  Make sure yours are plugged in
> all-the-way, on both ends.

I just checked that, and even replaced the SATA cables on both drives.
I also moved them from SATA 1 & 2 to SATA 3 & 4 on the motherboard.
Same issues.  I know that my OS was on /dev/sda (partitions sda1 ->
sda7).  I am booted off of the Mythbuntu 8.10 LiveCD right now, and
wanted to do a check on the hard drives.  It keeps telling me that
either I have to be root to do that or the device is busy.  How can I
run fsck in this case to check the drives?

Thanks,
Harry