[mythtv-users] UK based system

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Tue Jul 7 12:03:48 UTC 2009

> I've been looking around for someone in the UK that makes and sells Myth
> systems, I've found one, but unfortunatly not somone I feel able to trust.
>
> So it looks like I will need to do it myself.
>
> What I want is back end system with 2 dual tuners for DVB-T (Freeview) and
> either a dual tuner or two tuners for HD Satellite (Freesat).
>
> I then want two silent or near silent front end systems.
>
> I've read the hardware requirements wiki page, and looked at various cards
> avaialble to me. I was hoping for an upto date shopping list, this as you
> probably all know, not the case.
>
> I think I've got the Freeview/DVB-T cards I need as Hauppague WinTV NovaT
> digital PCI TV card however I can't find a HD Satellite card, do any
> exist? Or am I trying to reach for the impossible?
>
> What I'm also not sure about is how much processing power I will need, I
> was thinking Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 socket AM2+ motherboard with AMD Phenom
> 9950 Quad Core Socket AM2+ Processor with 8GB Ram. But I quite honestly
> don't know if I'm over doing it, under doing it, or getting it about
> right. The only thing that will run on this system with be the Myth
> backend.

I've just updated my backend/home server box so a bit of info...

ASUS M3N78Pro motherboard (GeForce 8300 onboard graphics for local testing)
Corsair PC2-6400 DDR2-800 (4GB total)
AMD Athlon X2 5050e CPU AM2 45W (2.6GHz)
CoolMaster Centurion 590 case with 400w PSU
ASUS DRW-22B1ST DVD writer
160GB IDE Seagate 7200.10 system disk
1000GB SATA2 Seagate 7200.11 x 5 in a 4G raid5 array
Technisat SkyStar 2
Hauppauge PVR150

No idea on UK prices but I got change out of NZ$2000 (excluding the TV
cards) so I'm happy with that!!

I'm currently running my UPS, a satellite Set Top Box, my ADSL modem with
phone interface for VoIP and my new server box and taking less that 80w
for the lot - that is going to save me over NZ$200 a year on power from
the 6 year old it replaces.

--
Robin Gilks