[mythtv-users] Video Catalog

Brad DerManouelian bderman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:56:14 UTC 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Tony Baca wrote:

> My Video collection is getting quite large.  The Wife does not like
> to scroll through the videos looking at what there is, honestly, I
> don’t like to either.
>
> I want to make a “card catalog” of the videos.  I would like to pull
> from the database information and print it on a card, or piece of
> paper, put the paper in a three ring binder.  As I add new vides, I
> can print a page and insert it in the proper place in the binder.
>
> Two questions:
>             1) Has anyone done something similar or solved the
> problem in a different manor?
>             2) What tools would you recommend to someone who knows
> only the very basics of sql?
>
> Thanks.

Wow! Sounds kind of backwards to me to move from a database to printed
pages. How do you normally browse your videos? I do mine by Genre.
Simply create a folder for each Genre of your choosing and move your
videos to the appropriate one. Then when you bring up the Videos page,
you are presented with a genre list.

You can get even more control with symlinks. At the top level, make
Genre folders with names that force them to the top of the list
(~Action, ~Comedy, ~Drama, etc.) Then place the original files at the
top level for those that like to scroll through long lists of movie
names and put a symlink into their appropriate genre(s).

Or the simple built-in solution: make sure all your genre metadata is
filled out appropriately for each video and filter/search for videos.

-Brad