[mythtv-users] Schedule conflicted with itself causing show to not record

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 30 18:52:56 UTC 2009

On 01/30/2009 12:40 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2009, at 9:23 AM, Marc Randolph wrote:
>
>> On 1/30/09, Allen Edwards wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Because the tuner for channel 2 was in use at 9PM due to the 20 min
>>> extension, the 9PM show on channel 2 was never recorded.
>>>
>>> Let's consider the options for myth to deal with an overlap on the same
>>> channel:
>>>
>>> 1) Record the first show plus the extra time and start the recording
>>> of the next show late

Do a schedule override of the second show with a -20 start early.

>>> 2) Stop recording the first show when the second show starts and
>>> start recording the second show

Do a schedule override of the second show without an end late.

>>> 3) Record the first show plus the extra time and completely skip the
>>> second show.

Do a "Don't record" on the 2nd show.

>>> Of the three choices, the last one is the last one I would want.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to deal with this?

Yes, 3 ways, so take your pick.

#2 corrected to say, "Stop recording the first show when the /first/
show ends, and if the 2nd show hasn't already begun, start recording the
second show otherwise don't record the second show--assuming the
priority of the first show is greater than the priority of the seconds
show.  Or--assuming the priority of the second show is greater than the
priority of the first show--start recording the second show when the
second show starts and don't record the first show."  I.e. Myth defaults
to recording the show you say you prefer (through priorities).  And,
yes, there is /always/ a priority difference:

>>   At least, that is what I recall that the wording implies when you
>> configure how much time
>> before and after to record... the comment at the bottom says something
>> to the effect of "Extra time (before and after) are ignored when
>> back-to-back recordings occur."
> This is when you use soft-padding (the global setting). If you set
> hard padding (on the individual rule) it will assume the extra time is
> part of the rule and you really want it all the time.

Right, that comment applies only to the settings:

Time to record before start of show (in seconds)
This global setting allows the recorder to start before the scheduled
start time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two
shows have been scheduled without enough time in between.

and

Time to record past end of show (in seconds)
This global setting allows the recorder to record beyond the scheduled
end time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two
showshave been scheduled without enough time in between.

which are meant to allow you to start recording early when it takes a
few seconds to start things up--i.e. when you have an STB with an
external channel change script that takes 4 seconds or when you have a
satellite dish or antenna that needs to be moved or ...

Remember, people, for Myth to do what /you/ want, you /must/ tell Myth
what you want.

Conflict resolution is /your/ job.

Mike