[mythtv-users] HD Content (???/InternetTV/Digital) in Japan on MythTV - Is it possible?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 01:13:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> says:
>> You may be able to use component video out, fed to a Hauppauge
>> HD-1212 which digitizes the signal.
>
> The universality of the HD-PVR is an underappreciated advantage.

The universality of unencrypted DVB-T or DVB-S is underappreciated by
North American users.

> I like my HDHomeRun a lot, but it's only for North America right
> now.

No a DVB-T/DVB-C version has been released.

>I'm sure those with access to Linux-compatible CAMs
> like them too but it's only for (Certain?) Europeans.
>
> Once HD-PVR support is in the mainstream code, we'll be able to
> suggest it as the default, first choice for almost any HD or SD
> recording situation, such as Japan for the original poster.

If you have the underlying stream, why re-encode it with an HDPVR? For
example with a DVB-S situation like I have I can record all channels
available on my satellite with two cards (as there are 2 muxes and
multirec works now). If I got set top boxes I'd need one for each
channel and an HDPVR for each channel to get the same functionality,
I'd also have to get lirc to change my channels on multiple boxes.