[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Thu Jan 29 18:26:10 UTC 2009

I have tried the Ubuntu packages on my work laptop, the only machine I
have that has a vdpau-capable video card (at the moment).

It upgraded the nvidia driver properly and mplayer. I stayed there.

And I tried a 1080p h.264 file.

With xv : 80% cpu and the system fan spinning up.
With vdpau and the proper vc : 4-5 % and no fan.

I'm impressed, very positively.

I'll probably try the mythtv frontend stuff soon. Maybe even the one
VC-1 TS file I have (who knows?)

However, I had to revert all to stock in the mean time, as the 180
series drivers break the dual 1920x1200 capability that works perfectly
with 177.

Jean-Yves, you are going to make me break a golden rule of mine... C'est
pas gentil ca ! But if I can semi-permanently make my CPU fan stick to
low revs...

Nico
off to NewEgg for a fanless PCI-E 512MB 8500GT