[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:15:21 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/29 Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>:
> I know about deinterlacing is that Bob's been great on my 1080p flat
> panel the past three years and that my system's (currently) too slow
> for Greedy or Yadif at HD resolutions but, hey, VDPAU = future = must
> be good, right?

VDPAU deinterlacing is very impressive... it's by far the best one
available in mythtvl

> claims that "8400gs doesn't have enougth GL power to do temporal
> spatial deinterlacing." I'd rather pay a little more now and get a
> card that has the functionality and horsepower to fully fulfill
> VDPAU's promise, if it's worth it. So:

The 8400gs can do VC-1 decoding ; a more powerful video card will not
do VC-1 with VDPAU. For some weird reasons, only their low-end card
can do VC-1 decoding.. If you don't care about VC-1 then yeah why
not..

But my 9400GT (similar chip as on the 8400gs)
can do both advanced & temporal deinterlacing at 2X rate for a video up to 720P.
After than I use either temporal or advanced 1X ...

Mind you, I think the "advanced" deinterlacer in mythtv with vdpau
does a better job than Temporal...

> * What, exactly, is temporal and/or spatial deinterlacing?

It's the holy grail of deinterlacing :)

http://www.100fps.com/

If you've been happy with Bob over the past 3 years, you're going to
be very surprised on how good it is... Or maybe, that you could
actually find Bob okay for so long is a worry :)

> * Assuming it's the bee's knees/cat's pajamas/greatest thing since
>  slice bread/heaven on earth/first step toward world peace, will my
>  8400GS (based on the G98 chipset) be able to do it under VDPAU, or
>  not?

Why don't you wait and try before making a decision ?
and the 8400gs is rather cheap anyway..

This is the one I wanted to buy to replace my 9400GT (to get VC-1),
but instead I replaced the whole motherboard with the nvidia 9400 IGU
from Gigabyte
It does HDMI