[mythtv-users] What is temporal spatial deinterlacing, and how do I get it?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Jan 29 11:01:06 UTC 2009

So I'm waiting on an inexpensive fanless 512MB Nvidia 8400GS
(<URL:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121235>)
video card to prepare for the brave new world of VDPAU. I know VDPAU
is supposed to offer support for "temporal and spatial deinterlacing,"
and that there's been some work to use this functionality within
MythTV
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/358321#358321>). All
I know about deinterlacing is that Bob's been great on my 1080p flat
panel the past three years and that my system's (currently) too slow
for Greedy or Yadif at HD resolutions but, hey, VDPAU = future = must
be good, right?

But then I read
<URL:http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126520>, which
claims that "8400gs doesn't have enougth GL power to do temporal
spatial deinterlacing." I'd rather pay a little more now and get a
card that has the functionality and horsepower to fully fulfill
VDPAU's promise, if it's worth it. So:

* What, exactly, is temporal and/or spatial deinterlacing?
* Assuming it's the bee's knees/cat's pajamas/greatest thing since
  slice bread/heaven on earth/first step toward world peace, will my
  8400GS (based on the G98 chipset) be able to do it under VDPAU, or
  not?

--
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | San Francisco CA US