[mythtv-users] Sky digital tv tuner

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 05:32:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Blair Mayston <blair.mayston at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Apologies for the beginner's question - haven't worked out how I can search
> posts here (only joined this morning).
> Have been reading about Myth over the past few weeks and almost have a build
> sorted out, but remain confused about what sort of TV tuner I need - in part
> because so many Myth sites are based outside NZ.
> Some posts have suggested analogue is required for Sky digital, but it seems
> dvb-s and dvb-t tuners are becoming more common in stores.
> Would something like the Hauppauge PVR150 be suitable for Sky? Or do I need
> to get one of the HVR series? (I'm not too interested in Freeview at this
> stage, if that's any help).

firstly welcome, secondly consider the mythtvnz mailing list here:

thirdly the best archive, searchable, is here (including mythtvnz)

fourthly you probably will be unable to get sky into your mythbox
other than by taking the analogue out of your sky box and putting it
into an analogue card. Its encrypted.

If you are happy to make do with the freeview offerings (and really
how much tv can you watch?) it is unencrypted and available through
any supported dvb-s card - eg the Technotrend 1401 here:

http://nicegear.co.nz/dvb-cards/