[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jan 28 19:05:46 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Tue, January 27, 2009 2:53 pm, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> I would make a small wager that doing a subdivision, etc. entirely
>> underground ends up cheaper and is cheaper to maintain, then having
>> electrical etc, on poles.
>
> If it were cheaper, they'd all be done that way.  Utilities, like any
> business, aren't in the habit of spending extra money just because they
> have it. ;)

There is no doubt that, if it is to be done piece-meal, above-ground is
cheaper. I'm still not so sure, where water and sewer are also part of
the mix.

There are numerous places inthe world where all utilities are housed in
a single conduit, but there is no doubt that retro-fitting that sort of
thing is expensive.

Geoff

And apropos the title of this thread, the transition is to proceed as
scheduled. The House defeated the bill wbich would have allowed the delay

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/01/dtv-delay-delayed-house-votes-down-dtv-postponement.ars

G/