[mythtv-users] Sony 200 disc changer

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 28 04:03:04 UTC 2009

On Jan 27, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:24:13PM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> I find that some DVDs won't rip, but will play.
>
> That is odd, since playing is effectivley ripping + playback without
> storing to disk.  (transcoding is admittedly something different but
> I had not heard of video that won't transcode.)

Playback is forgiving of bad sectors. Ripping is not.

>> That sounds expensive (they weigh a LOT) and illegal.
>
> Not at all illegal, but you predict it is more expensive to UPS it
> to the next guy than to buy one (which normally includes shipping from
> the source?)

Yeah, like I said I misunderstood what you meant.

> I must admit I would find something like this handy to rip all my CDs
> with only one 30 minute session of slotting them into the thing.
> Frankly,
> even better would be one where you just stack them on a spindle, not
> even
> putting them in slots.  Like I said, for me DVDs I don't care about
> but
> I know many people do, especially those with kids.  For those who
> do, having them
> on a spare TB disk (keep it spun down when not in use) seems much
> better than a DVD
> jukebox.     And cheaper.

There is software that will rip CD's from the changer, but I spent a
lot of time a long time ago ripping CDs and now I just rip them as I
buy them so I didn't bother implementing anything like that.

> I am curious about this idea of a disk you can't rip, but you can
> play.
> More often, I find the reverse.  If there are errors on the disk, a
> ripper
> can retry again and again, while that screws up playback.

mtd will hit a bad sector and try and try again until failure. mplayer
(which is what I use to play dvd's at the moment) skips the bad sector
and moves on.