[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 03:36:54 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/28 Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>:
> I have a slightly different slant to my question. Here in NZ our only
> unencrypted HD provider broadcasts in paff interlaced h264 with
> LATM/AAC sound. mythtv 0.21 doesn't handle either the sound or the
> video without patching, and even then requires a truck load of cpu
> power. This issue also affects some other markets, notably Norway.
>
> Paul Kendall (confusing having a Mark & a Paul!) has a ppa repo with a
> patched 0.21 that handles these issues. See
> https://launchpad.net/~paul-kcbbs/+archive
>
> My thought is that it would be almost perfect to have a
> 0.21-fixes+vdpau+paul's_patches
>
> I am not sure how much of the h264-latm-aac stuff that Paul
> incorporates is already in -fixes, or whether this would require

None by the look of it...

I just had a look at his package, and how he has built those packages
make it very hard for me to estimate how hard (or how easy) it would
be for me to adapt for the VDPAU mod.

Rather than developing a set of patches that you apply on the clean
0.21-fixes, he has modified the main code directly.

The way mythbuntu and most people have build packages, you start from
the official 0.21-fixes code, then in your package you create patches
that you apply to the main code... It's very easy that way to keep
separate your code from the main one...

Here he has made a combination of both...
Modified directly the main code, and have a set of patches on top of
that:  the original mythbuntu patches and some more.

BTW, I have many of those patches in my ubuntu packages too, in
particular the ability to change between tuner cards transparently
etc..

> applying both sets of patches (with the difficulties that may create).
> I am no programmer and my hacking is generally restricted to the odd
> bash/python/perl script.
>
> And please don't think I am demanding you incorporate any other
> patches or anything, I am merely seeking any comments on the viability
> of both sets being used together.

I would probably be easier for the author of this package to
incorporate my patches rather than the other way round...

I will look at what he has changed and see how easy it would be to adapt..
The other issue is that I only release what I know for certain works
... and I have no way of testing as I do not live in NZ !

Jean-Yves