[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 03:08:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hope I answered your questions and concerns appropriately...
>
> Jean-Yves

Jean-Yves I for one thank you for your efforts and also for the
thoughtful answers to Nicolas Will's questions.

I have a slightly different slant to my question. Here in NZ our only
unencrypted HD provider broadcasts in paff interlaced h264 with
LATM/AAC sound. mythtv 0.21 doesn't handle either the sound or the
video without patching, and even then requires a truck load of cpu
power. This issue also affects some other markets, notably Norway.

Paul Kendall (confusing having a Mark & a Paul!) has a ppa repo with a
patched 0.21 that handles these issues. See
https://launchpad.net/~paul-kcbbs/+archive

My thought is that it would be almost perfect to have a
0.21-fixes+vdpau+paul's_patches

I am not sure how much of the h264-latm-aac stuff that Paul
incorporates is already in -fixes, or whether this would require
applying both sets of patches (with the difficulties that may create).
I am no programmer and my hacking is generally restricted to the odd
bash/python/perl script.

And please don't think I am demanding you incorporate any other
patches or anything, I am merely seeking any comments on the viability
of both sets being used together.

Nick.