[mythtv-users] VDPAU support on 0.21-fixes

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 01:33:04 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/28 Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net>:

> I would just like to know how commited you are to this repo and to your
> backport.

Let me start by saying that you are under no obligations to use my
packages nor my patches... Due to this, I don't even think I should
bother answering this question ; but I will anyway :)

I have been maintaining my version of mythtv customised for my needs
for a very long time, before it was on CentOS/Fedora, now Ubuntu.
This version is what I have installed at my place in a production
environment (e.g. sitting in the living room, used by the wife).
Being fiddly by nature, I like to always have the latest and greatest.

Now if there are updates on the vdpau support in trunk and it directly
affects me (and it probably would) then I will merge those changes
back in fixes. Obviously there are no guarantees.
Due to the way I created this backport, keeping in sync with trunk is
required should I ever want to include some features in the future. I
can't just pick and choose without spending a considerable amount of
time...

> What you just did is basically a fork.

No I didn't... nor do I intend to do so in the future.
The day 0.22 is released officially, I will stop my effort on
improving 0.21 while keeping it stable.

> How commited are you to keep tracking the mythbuntu weekly -fixes
> builds ?

There aren't much new things done in mythtbuntu weekly-fixes other
than getting the latest version of svn...
Seeing how fixes haven't changed much in a while, I have no doubt that
my patches could be applied easily on a newer version.

if you want VDPAU support in Mythbuntu weekkly-fixes, then ask them to
integrate the VDPAU mods, I won't be mirroring them with my changes
in.

I see no reason to keep in sync with mythbuntu weekly fixes. Last week
build broke my system for example, it would always segfault when
starting...
I won't ever release something if it doesn't at least work for me.

> How commited are you to follow the vdpau development and keep updating
> your patch?

I have been publishing mplayer packages with vdpau from the day nvidia
announced vdpau (check on the nvidia own forum)...
nvidia released a new mplayer yesterday and I had packages ready
within a few hours.

> How committed are you to support and fix stuff that breaks ?

I've always answered emails directly addressed to me.
This distribution list is a very high volume one. As such I usually
only subscribe to it when I have an issue or wish to share something.

If you want to be kept updated on the vdpau changes , the probably
best way would be to hit refresh on my web page, or use my repository
in synaptic

> So, should I commit my stable mythbuntu weekly -fixes system to your
> fork?

Up to you...
my build is based on mythbuntu weekly-fixes ; I then adapted their
patches to fit my code.

One thing to keep in mind: mythbuntu weekly *will* release a new
version every week, with a new version number , even is there has been
no change whatsoever to the underlying code. That's just the way SVN
works. One change anywhere in the repository and the whole version
number change.

I will release a new package when there is actually a change in
0.21-fixes that is relevant. So while mythbuntu weekly-fixes may have
a newer package with a higher version number, it doesn't mean that
it's actually a better, newer mythtv.

> I am asking, not to feed the monster, but to make my own decision.

Hope I answered your questions and concerns appropriately...

Jean-Yves