[mythtv-users] Alternative to udev for adapter ordering/naming

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 06:17:57 UTC 2009

A dev from the v4l list put me on to this. My problem was
that I have a couple of TwinTuner USB devices that I can't
make udev rules for as therr was no way of differentiating
the internal tuners on them. Unfortunately the adapter
numbers assigned to them between boots varied and often
weren't even consecutive which made managing them a real
pain – a familiar pain for Myth users :) This was a
critical problem as the LifeView Twin tuner couldn't
reliably tune one channel.

He suggested I use the adapter_nr option when loading the
driver module which allows you to specify the adaptor number
assigned – and it works a charm.

On mythbuntu, module options can be specified in the
/etc/modprobe.d/options file. Here's mine as an example:

  # LifeWalker Twin Tuners
  options dvb_usb_m920x adapter_nr=0,1

  # WinFast T1000
  options cx88_dvb adapter_nr=2

  # ASUS U3100
  options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=3

So now on every boot I reliably get:

LifeWalker:
/dev/dvb/adaptor0
/dev/dvb/adaptor1

WinFast
/dev/dvb/adapter2

ASUS U3100
/dev/dvb/adapter3

Quite frankly its far easier and more reliable that using
udev rules and IMHO, for the specific need of getting
consistent adapter ordering and naming in MythTV more
useful.

Just thought I put this out there in case others find it
useful.

Cheers – Lindsay

Lindsay Mathieson
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album