[mythtv-users] US to postpone analog TV death

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 26 20:20:28 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 12:06:19 Marc Feldman wrote:
> A local antenna service technician told me that many stations broadcasting
> analog and digital keep the digital signal power low to prevent
> interference.  He suggested that the digital signal will get a boost once
> the analog is turned off.  I never heard that before, but it would be good.
> The catchment area for digital seems smaller than analog in my area now.

Many stations are using secondary antennas for the digital signal right now.
Some stations are also going to change frequencies when the final switchover
happens.

Also, some digital UHF transmitters are running at less than full power due to
limitations in the available AC power. I know this is the case at the Empire
State Building right now. Once they no longer have to power the NTSC rigs,
more AC will be available for the digital transmitters.

It is more likely that your digital signal will improve after the switchover
than it is that it will get worse.

--
beww
beww at beww.org