[mythtv-users] Problems testing my card.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Jan 26 00:21:43 UTC 2009

Phil Bridges wrote:
> You don't want to scan for ATSC channels if you're connected to the
> cable - you want to scan for QAM channels.

Incorrect statement.  ATSC includes both QAM and 8VSB (which is the OTA
encoding).  You probably mean that he doesn't want to scan for 8VSB, but
for QAM instead.

But, I cannot find any information from the OP (except his vague ATSC
reference) on *where* he is on order to advise him on possible protocols
to check for....

> If you do want to scan for cable channels, try bypassing your converter box.

Do we know what the output of his convert box is?  Analog or digital?
(Is he trying to plug an analog input into a digital encoder card?)
If his cable is encoded, is it worth trying to scan it directly for
channels?  It will tell him which channels are available, and also which
are encoded.

If he is scanning for channels at the output of his convert box, he
won't find any (will he?)  What *is* the output of his converter box?
(Sorry, I'm repeating myself.)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com