[mythtv-users] Satellite TV and MythTV, getting started

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Fri Jan 23 18:57:09 UTC 2009

> That's true as well. Luckily, there is some useful information on running
> two separate lirc instances to make life a little easier here:
>
> http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html
>
> Some of the info is outdated, but if you take that into consideration you
> should be able to muddle through like I did when I first started with
> DirecTV.
>
> -Brad

I started to look into this "many moons" ago, but then found out that Dish
receivers can be set to 16 different IR codesets, so it was un-necessary for
me.  (I have 3 dish network receivers, and with them set to different codes
I have just one lirc instance that controls all 3 receivers.)

Also, I beleive the newer versions of lirc make the above page's 'hack'
unnecessary, as I believe you can now run multiple lirc instances. - You'd
have to consult the lirc documentation or users list for details on how to
set it up though, as I haven't looked at that functionality for a couple of
years now.  (I stopped following the trail when I determined I could use one
instance of LIRC)

J-e-f-f-A