[mythtv-users] Moving to an HDTV

Cool Frood aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 15:35:42 UTC 2009

Hi there,

I have a MythTV setup currently running with an NVidia FX 5200 that
pushes DVI to a 1680x1050 Acer LCD.  I'm planning to get a 1080p HDTV.
 I have a bunch of questions:

1. Is it possible to do 1080p without DVI-D?  FX 5200 doesn't do DVI-D
(I think).  Can I do 1080p over VGA?
2. Can I run an HDTV at 1680x1050?  It took me some effort to coax
X.org into doing that resolution over DVI but I suspect that an HDTV
will be less forgiving of clocks and frequencies.
3. If nothing works, what is a good card to do 1920x1200 to an HDTV in
Linux?  I assume it would require an DVI-D to HDMI cable.

Thanks,
Akshat