[mythtv-users] Moving to an HDTV

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Jan 22 15:47:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Cool Frood
<aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com<aaranya%2Bmythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a MythTV setup currently running with an NVidia FX 5200 that
> pushes DVI to a 1680x1050 Acer LCD.  I'm planning to get a 1080p HDTV.
>  I have a bunch of questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to do 1080p without DVI-D?  FX 5200 doesn't do DVI-D
> (I think).  Can I do 1080p over VGA?
> 2. Can I run an HDTV at 1680x1050?  It took me some effort to coax
> X.org into doing that resolution over DVI but I suspect that an HDTV
> will be less forgiving of clocks and frequencies.
> 3. If nothing works, what is a good card to do 1920x1200 to an HDTV in
> Linux?  I assume it would require an DVI-D to HDMI cable.

1080p is 1920x1080, so yes, I believe VGA can support that. The question is,
can your TV support that over its VGA input (if it has one, they are
stupidly rare these days).

Ditch the 5200 and get a more modern NVidia card. They have modes for HDTV
built into the driver now. So you can tell it you want "HD1080p" and it will
output the right timings and such. I'm doing it now for 720p. Works on 6150
and 8200 mobo chipsets, should work on any 6000+ series card with the newer
drivers. Perhaps older, I don't really know which cards are required. You
can use DVI-HDMI cables or get a card with HDMI output. My 8200 based
motherboard has an on board HDMI that works just fine for me.

Even if you don't use it now, I'd get a card that can support VDPAU. They
are reasonably cheap and have you covered for the future should you want to
use them that way. My 8200 based system is using VDPAU for mplayer and it
works very well.