[mythtv-users] MCE remote & LIRC on Debian Etch

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 03:41:56 UTC 2009

I've been following the how-to here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LIRC_on_Debian_Etch

and I'm not having much success.  My machine is a 800mhz G4 eMac, and I'm
trying to make a Windows MCE remote work.  I've tested the hardware on a
mythbuntu machine, where I was able to setup the remote using Mythbuntu
Control Center, and the remote and receiver seem to work fine.  I've
followed the how-to several times, and I've yet to receive an error message
until I get to the point of testing everything my running "mode2" to see if
I get output from the remote.  This fails with the following:

BedroomFE:/usr/src# mode2
mode2: error opening /dev/lirc
mode2: No such file or directory
BedroomFE:/usr/src#

which indicates to me that /dev/lirc0 does not exist, and I'm not sure why,
or how to figure out why.  Has anyone had success working with this how-to?
Any troubleshooting advice would also be welcome.  FWIW, I'm running .21
from the Debian multimedia repositories, but I haven't gotten as far as
trying it in Myth.

Thanks for any help offered,

Josh