[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick on the cheap

raphy rpooser at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:07:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM,  <ojw at weilerfamily.com> wrote:

> For those looking for a cheap ATSC OTA tuner, http://sellout.woot.com has
> the "old" style Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick for $30 + $5 shipping.
>
> The good:
> I've got 5 of these grabbing ATSC OTA on a single mythtv frontend/backend
> box without any problems.
> They're small
> They don't take up any slots
>
> The bad:
> You'll need to download the latest v4l package to compile into the kernel to
> get them to work
> They don't do Clear QAM
> They get hot
>
> The ugly:
> The *picture* on sellout.woot.com suggests it's the "old" 800e PCTV HD Pro
> stick.  If I'm wrong, then my 5 minute googling research suggests that if
> it's the "new" PCTV HD Pro stick (801e), there are no linux drivers that
> work well.
> It's a refurb
> sellout.woot.com is a one sale a day kinda a site: caveat emptor.
>
> So, if you're willing to give it a shot, $35 for a digital tuner ain't bad
> at all.
>
> Oliver Weiler
> ojw at weilerfamily.com
> "Yeah, but can your DVR record 5 things at once?" --Proud MythTV owner (me)

I think we might be at the point where these might work OOTB with the
latest Linux kernel. I'm not 100% sure, as I've been using them for a
while, and way back then I compiled v4l to get it working. They do get
hot, unreasonably hot. I've read in various forums that this is
because the Linux drivers still don't support a power-down or standby
type state that the windows drivers do support. I don't know if that's
changed in the latest drivers or not. You can call it either bad
hardware design or bad drivers, but IMHO the amount of heat they
generate is unreasonable compared to other electronic components
associated with my mythtv system. This is the same tuner as the
Hauppauge HVR 950.

One day I came home and found my system crashed. Upon reboot, it
hanged indefinitely if the tuner was connected. Ultimately, after
restoring a backup from a few days before, I had to connect the tuner
to a usb hub in order for the system to boot normally. Further, after
the crash event, I noticed my IR keyboard range had drastically
reduced - it had to be 2-3 feet from the keyboard to work. Plugging
the keyboard into the same usb hub restored the original range of 15
or so feet.

How's that for ugly? ;)