[mythtv-users] Wierd blur/corruption at the bottom when playing video

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 19 23:02:39 UTC 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 2:42 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

>> Ah.. a clue. Is OpenGL Video Renderer even meant to be a supported/
>> released
>> feature? (I'm not asking you, I'm asking someone who follows this
>> feature in
>> -dev since I was never very interested in it I don't pay
>> attention). Log
>> files might lend a hand in narrowing down the problem.
>
> OpenGL renderer has been there for several years and I was using it
> before 0.20 over 2 years ago ...
> It allows much nicer OSD too ...

I played around with my setup for a bit trying to reproduce and have
not been able to, yet. However, I'm running trunk and since I don't
really follow the OpenGL stuff I don't know what may or may not have
been improved from your version to mine.

>> Ahh.. a work-around until you solve the problem. I guess they do
>> have some
>> value after all.
>
> Big difference with a work-around that require me to re-encode all my
> videos compare to a work-around on myth itself that is simple to do,
> doesn't take any time to apply either

Ahh.. see the misunderstanding of the work-around suggestion below...

>> BTW, if you plan on being snarky *and* wanting help, please provide
>> all the
>> information requested. It will take you less time to get closer to a
>> solution that way. (Yes, I realize this message is snarky in
>> response, but
>> only because you put zero value in a valid work-around suggestion
>> that
>> someone thoughtfully went out of their way to provide you.)
>
> snarky ??? me ?

Looks like it was just a misunderstanding of what was being suggested.

> If you think someone has to go "out of their way" to tell me to
> re-encode all my videos ... oh well...

I guess you just misunderstood the original suggestion. It was to
either re-encode the video (which I admit is a silly work-around and
likely wouldn't even work) or "- turning up the overscan on playback."
which is a valid work-around and only affects playback, not the
original file.

> I left this distribution list for a few months due to the sheer
> volume, but damn ; everyone is so edgy and cut-throat these days ...
>
> what happened ?

It's been a long week. :)

Sorry I couldn't get to the bottom of it for you. I gave it a shot. I
wonder if your GPU is powerful enough to use the OpenGL renderer to
upscale to 1920x1080. I gets lots of weirdness when I try to play my
1280x720 recordings on a 1920x1080 display so I keep mine at 720p now.

-Brad