[mythtv-users] TV or monitor?

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Mon Jan 19 17:50:03 UTC 2009

> > This has probably been discussed before, so feel free to refer me to an
> > earlier discussion.
> >
> > What are the pros and cons of using a) a PC monitor or b) a TV monitor to
> > watch Mythtv?

If you're referring to a TV with S-Video input vs a computer monitor, I'd go
with the computer monitor any day.  I've been using computer monitors with
my MythTV systems since almost Day 1...  The graphics will be much sharper,
the colors better, the contrast ratio better, etc.

But if you're talking about a 'modern' widescreen flat-panel TVs (IE: Plasma
or LCD), then the TV vs Computer monitor is more of an "even playing
field".  As others have described, a High-Definition TV will probably do a
better job at upscaling Standard-definition TV to HD resolutions, but IMHO,
myth does a pretty good job of it too... [at least on Nvidia hardware!]  The
other thing a TV will give you is Speakers, which most computer LCDs either
don't have, or aren't up to the task of high-volume TV viewing. ;-)

I'm currently running four frontends -- Two have 22" widescreen LCDs
connected via DVI, and the picture is stunning.  My son is currently using
an old 19" 4:3 CRT, and it looks great on there too...  The 4th frontend is
currently connected through an older sterio system via S-Video switched by
the receiver with 4 other components.  It's being fed into a ViewSonic
NextVision N4 video scaler into a 37" computer monitor.  [yep, that's right
- 37" -- got it for free when my employer upgraded to LCDs a few years
back...].  One of these days I'll get around to feeding the VGA right into
the monitor instead of using the scaler [it will do 1024x768 native], but my
wife would be too confused by having to switch it with 2 different
remotes...  ;-)

J-e-f-f-A