[mythtv-users] Issues with audio over HDMI

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 17:17:56 UTC 2009

I am going back to your first post and notice you have two digital
ports on your audio readout, one spdif and one hdmi.  This is not
something I have so cannot test.  I did a google search and see that
there may be some issues with this.  Perhaps someone with this setup
can chime in.

Here are a couple of thoughts.
1) When you tried to play through your optical connection did you
disconnect the hdmi cable?
2) You must have enabled your digital outputs in alsamixer or aplay
wouldn't work but I thought I would bring it up just in case.
3) I think the statement Audio output device: ALSA:spdif can't be
correct for your board as there needs to be an assignment specifically
for the hdmi port.  My spdif port reads differently than yours as
well.  For comparisons, here is mine:

dad at myth_desktop:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In the google search I did, I found references to patches so programs
can tell that the ALC1200 should use the ALC883 settings built in and
other patches to support hdmi.  You say you can play audio, just not
with myth so I am thinking the ALSA:spdif statement needs to change.

You also might google "alsa alc1200 <your mb model>" and see if you
can get any hits.

Please let us know what works.  I hope this is helpful.

Allen