[mythtv-users] Mytharchive picture corruption in fc10.x86_64 build

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Jan 19 15:12:58 UTC 2009

John Pilkington wrote:
> I posted about this earlier this week to the ATrpms users list:  here's
> the original, followed by Axel's response and a few more details.
>
> I have a large stack of MythTV DVDs created under CentOS5 that play
> well.  i have a few created under fc10 that do the same, but when their
> creation requires the use of tcrequant (ie, when the input files are
> slightly too large for the dvd) the fc10 picture is often corrupt, with
> small transient rectangles superimposed on the normal picture.
> Strangely, although tcrequant is applied equally to all the recordings
> on a disk, the visibility of the corruption on them may vary.
>
> This should perhaps have gone to mythusers, or the mythtv trac system,
> but tcrequant is part of the  transcode package (unless it's distinct
> copy built into mythtv?) and I thought an airing here might be useful.
> Known memory leaks?
>
>> In principle builds for CentOS5 and Fedora 10 are the same speaking
>> from the POV of the source. Theuy are just being built in different
>> environments (different vendor libraries and compilers).
>>
>> Perhaps a bug in alignment in some struct that triggers differently
>> depending on the compiler used? I would indeed try to cross-check this
>> on mythtv-users. Maybe other distros see this, too, and the diagnosis
>> can be extended.
>> -- Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
>
> I burn my dvds from .iso images created by Mytharchive.  The corrupt
> images are from an fc10.x86_64 system.  The older i686 box has been fc3,
> fc5, Centos5.2 and has never had this problem.  All have used the ATrpms
> builds of MythTV.
>
> Almost all the recordings are from UK dvb-t, pre-processed to leave one
> stereo mp2 channel without subtitles, which are then Mythtranscoded
> using a cutlist before entering Mytharchive.  Mytharchive demultiplexes,
> converts sound to ac3, applies tcrequant if needed to fit into the
> available space, remultiplexes and creates the .iso image.  I very
> rarely re-encode video, and never within Mytharchive.
>
> Mytharchive failures have been very rare, and with tcrequant (video
> shrinkage) factors almost always less that 5 percent the video quality
> has not shown noticeable degradation. tcrequant in working order is a
> useful tool and I would like to be able to rely on its availability in
> the new system.
>
> Has anyone else seen this behaviour?  Does anyone have any idea of what
> might be going wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John Pilkington

I just found this:

Sun Jan 18 11:40:35 CET 2009
transcode 1.1.0 Final Release
Highlights of the changes since 1.1.0 RC 5:
# tcrequant is now deprecated and not built by default.

http://tcforge.berlios.de/archives/2009/01/18/transcode_1_1_0_final_release/index.html

:-(

I have 1.0.7-38.fc10 at x86_64 from ATrpms.

It worked-for-me before I got an improved system ....

John P