[mythtv-users] recent ubuntu update breaking "use video as timebase"?

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu Jan 15 23:27:09 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

I've got a long term stable MythTV box in which something weird happened
recently, that I still can't explain.  I'm running MythTV 0.21-fixes on
Ubuntu 8.10 (32 bit).  Ubuntu was lamenting about some packages that were
out of date, long out of date, that needed updating.  A couple of hundred.
I try not to upgrade the box often because stuff like this happens.  Anyway,
after the upgrade, all my recordings played back as though they were Alvin
and Chipmunks, sped up a little bit and higher pitch.  The files on the
drive were just fine (checked through MPlayer), but in Myth stuff was
decidely strange.  Video was sped up too.

I tried fiddling settings, and finally found that if I switched off "use
video as timebase" it would play back as normal.

I've been running MythTV with the same database since May 2003, so I have no
idea when or why I turned this setting on or if I'll suffer adverse effects
because of it.

So, now I'm left with 2 questions:

1. What advantage is there to using video as timebase? (or What am I missing
without it?)  According to the wikified user manual the default is off, but
there is no additional information.
2. Did this happen to anyone else?

Maybe if someone else got stung by this, this message could help some.  Or
maybe my setup is just strange.

Thanks!
--Patrick