[mythtv-users] Issues with audio over HDMI

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:08:15 UTC 2009

Hi all,

OK further testing...

I have tried adjusting the settings as per the below

In your Frontend end setting what sound selections do you have?
>> (Setup|General), around page 3
>>

> Audio output device: ALSA:spdif
> Passthrough output device: ALSA:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
> Max Audio Channels: Stereo
> Upmix: Passive
> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
> Aggressive Sound card Buffering (UNchecked)
> User internal volume controls (UNchecked)

And this has not improved the result. Still no audio. To ensure it is not a
problem with the TV playing dolby digital sound, I have now routed the hdmi
signal through my home theatre receiver. The result is the same.

I have also tried  `alsa:device=hw=0,3` or `alsa:hw=0,3` but this also made
no difference.

I am not sure if this provides any clues or not, but trying to play my mp3
collection through MythTV also fails with no sound, yet using vlc plays them
without issue. Does mythtv share the same play mechanism for these two file
types?

Also, I retried playing the original recordings via an NFS mount using aplay
and they play without issue and with audio. I must be sending digital audio
as I have no other audio cables between the two devices.

I also downloaded a DD5.1 audio test clip and played that via aplay and my
receiver picked it up correctly and played sound through each of the
speakers in turn.

To me, this would indicate that my mythbuntu installation is working for
hdmi digital audio without issue. MythTV however is not...

What further information should I provide to try and figure out why this is
happening?

Cheers

Phil