[mythtv-users] VDPAU blows up video card, film at 11

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 18 19:23:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:47:14AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2009 06:09:09 ryan patterson wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> > > Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> says:
> > >
> > > !!! Tell us more.
> >
> > Yes please explain how that is possible.  I don't want to call you a
> > lier, but it is inconceivable for software to "physically damage" a
> > hardware device (corupting firmware or overclocked hardware situations
> > both don't apply).
>
> Perhaps the video card got tossed across the room?
>
> I have certainly felt like doing that on occasion.
>
> Monitors used to get blown up by driving them beyond their capabilities. The
> only way I can think of to damage a card would be by over-heating somehow.

I don't know what particular capabilities VDPAU uses or exposes, but
just as an example modern video cards are often overclockable through
software and can be damaged in the same way as CPUs. I suspect that heat
damage (which is cumulative) often is one of the main factors in
overclock-related failures, though.

--
Michael Heironimus