[mythtv-users] spdif passthrough toggle

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:31:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:

> It is actually a little more complicated although I think some of the
> new HD Audio chips should be able to do it.  What you want is the
> passthrough of the SPDIF untouched by alsa or pulse audio and yet you
> want a stereo decode of the data stream for your TV.
>
> I have the same setup and what I did was take an old Technics digital
> decoder box and set it to stereo.  Its outputs go to the TV.  I hook
> up to the spdif connection on the MB and built a level shifter out of
> some resistors and a capacitor to provide the signal to the second
> decoder.  The main decoder is 5.1.  These boxes have DTS and show up
> on ebay occasionally. One sold recently for $120.

Too complicated...I already have what I want working, I just need to make it
easier to toggle between the two modes.  Unfortunately my amp doesn't output
line level audio when the input is digital either.

"what about a menu item which runs a script that does a mysql command
to toggle the appropriate setting in the database?"

I like the idea of using a mysql command from either a top level menu option
or a button press.  Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about mysql
or how to assign a command like that to a new menu item.  I suppose I can
learn if I get motivated enough.