[mythtv-users] spdif passthrough toggle

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 03:38:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM, jansenj <jansenj+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have spdif passthrough set for surround sound to my amp, but I also have
> the analog hooked up directly to the TV so we don't have to have the amp
> turned on.  Every time I want to watch and listen to something over the TV
> speakers I have to go into the settings menu and deselect the passthrough
> settings, then when I want to go back to surround sound mode, I have to go
> back into the settings.
>
> I've thought about dedicating a button on the remote to toggle between two
> different myth config files and restarting myth frontend.  Does anyone have
> any better ideas that would make for a higher WAF than having to go into the
> audio settings everytime I want to switch back and forth?

what about a menu item which runs a script that does a mysql command
to toggle the appropriate setting in the database?

Basically the same idea as you have but:

1. you need to account for the fact that settings are in the database
not a config file

2. doesn't require a dedicated remote button

3. doesn't require the W to remember which obscure button you  dedicated.

4. I am not sure whether a front end restart is needed?
experimentation will tell. I am pretty sure that when I switched to
digital the other day a restart was not required.