[mythtv-users] [OT] Study proves skipping commercials make TVless enjoyable

Stackpole, Chris CStackpole at barbnet.com
Thu Jan 15 14:50:34 UTC 2009

[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of
jarpublic at gmail.com
>Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:46 PM
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] [OT] Study proves skipping commercials make
TVless enjoyable

>I do feel like I am missing stuff sometimes (new show promos, the
occasional funny

>commercial, or products I would be interested in, etc). I don't mind
commercials

>that much actually. It is the fact that I have to see each commercial
so many times.

>I would be fine if there was some way for me to see the commercials
once and

>then never been shown them again. Sometimes it seems like that use the
exact same

>set of commercials and just repeat it for each commercial break.

I second the idea of unique commercials only. They are why I love my
mythtv box for skipping commercials. Seeing the same advertisements
really annoys me. No scratch that. It /really/ peeves me off.

I just went on a road trip for a friends wedding. We stayed at this
motel in the middle-of-nowhere New Mexico where the wireless connection
was painfully slow and I gave up trying to stream my shows from mythweb
back at home. So we turned on the television. Since this trip was also
the last weekend of the year, the commercials were for the 3 car
dealerships in the area. They all had end-of-year clearance sales with
no money down and only x99 a month and blah blah blah shot of a guy
driving a car through town where everyone waves at him blah blah blah a
truck driving through a large field stirring up dust behind it blah blah
blah. I hate those commercials. The worst one was this ad for a local
shop that was maybe 5 seconds long (where a guy just yells at you "we
are company X, we are doing a sale! Come on down now!"). We lost count
when the count got up into the 20's. At one point they ran the ad _5_
times back-to-back. We tried switching channels, but the channels with
something watchable all had this over-weight guy yelling at us! I have
never wanted to stab another human being so badly in my life. I don't
see how his commercial run over and over like that didn't give the
entire town nightmares. I have no idea who he is, what he sells, or
anything about him but I can still see his flabby jowls flap around
while he yells at me.

We watched live tv for a little over an hour, maybe a little more.
Flipping through channels I am willing to bet we saw less then 10
different commercials. Like I said before, we lost count on how many
times they ran the same ad's over and over again. Returning home, I was
never so happy to watch TV from my Myth box commercial free.

Praise be to the dev's who wrote the commercial-skip function that saves
me from these atrocities every day! Hip hip Hooray!

Stack