[mythtv-users] Very simple user guide for Myth?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 14 04:06:16 UTC 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Mike Dent wrote:

> 2009/1/13 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
>> On Tuesday 13 January 2009 12:01:26 Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>>> You can switch to DVR menus. It doesn't "emulate" something that
>>> sucks, but it organizes the menus differently to navigate more
>>> like a
>>> commercial PVR.
>>
>> I agree that emulating something that's terrible is not a good
>> idea. Sort of
>> like all those folks who seem to want to make Linux behave like
>> Windows, so
>> it will be "accepted".
>>
>> MythTV is far better than any commercial DVR. If you want something
>> that
>> sucks, there are plenty of vendors and cable companies who will be
>> happy to
>> take your money.
>>
>> Emulating their manuals is no good either. Those I have seen are
>> about as
>> clear as the US plan to fix the financial problems.
>>
>> But this thread does point somethong out, documenting software is
>> often more
>> work than writing it in the first place.
>>

> Yes I realise Mythtv is better than many commercial DVR's but some of
> these commercial offerings such as the Sky+ are sooo easy to use that
> hundreds of thousands of housholds have them and pay to use them.
>
> Put the standard MythTV frontend on them and see how popular they
> are then.?
>
> For me I have no great problem building and using mythtv as it stands,
> that is probably true of 95% of the people on this list but try giving
> it to an 80 year old (or indeed many less tech minded folks) and you
> will get my point :)
>
> Thanks for the comments so far.

The great thing about documentation is that almost anyone can help
write it. It's a great way to help give back to the community if you
don't have the time to learn C++. Simply start writing and post once
you've got a good start on it and maybe others will jump in and lend a
hand. My first contribution to the wiki was updating all the
screenshots when the last version was released. It wasn't difficult
and only took a couple of hours out of an otherwise boring day for
me. :)