[mythtv-users] Very simple user guide for Myth?

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:18:11 UTC 2009

2009/1/13 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2009 12:01:26 Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> You can switch to DVR menus. It doesn't "emulate" something that
>> sucks, but it organizes the menus differently to navigate more like a
>> commercial PVR.
>
> I agree that emulating something that's terrible is not a good idea. Sort of
> like all those folks who seem to want to make Linux behave like Windows, so
> it will be "accepted".
>
> MythTV is far better than any commercial DVR. If you want something that
> sucks, there are plenty of vendors and cable companies who will be happy to
> take your money.
>
> Emulating their manuals is no good either. Those I have seen are about as
> clear as the US plan to fix the financial problems.
>
> But this thread does point somethong out, documenting software is often more
> work than writing it in the first place.

Yes I realise Mythtv is better than many commercial DVR's but some of
these commercial offerings such as the Sky+ are sooo easy to use that
hundreds of thousands of housholds have them and pay to use them.

Put the standard MythTV frontend on them and see how popular they are then.?

For me I have no great problem building and using mythtv as it stands,
that is probably true of 95% of the people on this list but try giving
it to an 80 year old (or indeed many less tech minded folks) and you
will get my point :)

Thanks for the comments so far.

Mike