[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

Igor Chudov igor at chudov.com
Wed Jan 14 02:07:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:03:44AM +0900, Phil Wild wrote:
> My situation is slightly different from yours in that I am not
> installing mythtv onto a previously built environment.

Understood.

> Can I perhaps suggest mythbuntu if you have the option of starting
> from scratch...

Not really. I manage computers via scripts, as I have too many of
them, so I install Ubuntu on all and then customize.

I finally had some progress, thanks to everyone, after blowing away
everything, including all mysql.txt, ~*/.mythtv, etc and finally
figuring out the proper logon credentials and grant statement that
finally worked.

So I have MythTV installed and giving me the menu. So now I have to
figure out what to do with it.

I would like to make it work with hdhomerun (which I have and already
love and watch via VLC).

I also have a Dish Network receiver and a TV card by Hauppauge that
captures component input. I have not yet put that card into the MythTV
computer, it is currently in another PC.

My third and possibly most important interest is in playing movie
.AVI files that are on local network, in a NFS mounted directory.

I already play them via Krusader and mplayer, but thought that it
would be slicker to integrate them with MythTV.