[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 02:34:10 UTC 2009

> Not really. I manage computers via scripts, as I have too many of
> them, so I install Ubuntu on all and then customize.
>
> I finally had some progress, thanks to everyone, after blowing away
> everything, including all mysql.txt, ~*/.mythtv, etc and finally
> figuring out the proper logon credentials and grant statement that
> finally worked.

Glad to hear you got things working

> So I have MythTV installed and giving me the menu. So now I have to
> figure out what to do with it.
>
> I would like to make it work with hdhomerun (which I have and already
> love and watch via VLC).

the hdhomerun is one of the most popular devices and should work out of the
box. Check out the mythtv wiki for more specific info:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Silicondust_HDHomeRun, or there are
plenty of people on the list using it if something comes up.

> I also have a Dish Network receiver and a TV card by Hauppauge that
> captures component input. I have not yet put that card into the MythTV
> computer, it is currently in another PC.

You will have to give the specific card that you have to get help with that.
The only device I know of that can capture component input that works with
mythtv is the Hauppauge HD-PVR, but it is only supported in the svn trunk
build for the upcoming .22 release.

> My third and possibly most important interest is in playing movie
> .AVI files that are on local network, in a NFS mounted directory.
>
> I already play them via Krusader and mplayer, but thought that it
> would be slicker to integrate them with MythTV.

You want to check out MythVideo. It will handle most file types and can use
the internal player which has worked well with most everything I have thrown
at it. Just set your MythVideo directory to the NFS mount with your videos.
I would recommend using mythweb to manage the metadata, scan for updates to
the folder, etc with your video collection. I also use mythweb for all of my
scheduling/managing of recordings. Mythweb is great.