[mythtv-users] Setting up mythtv password did no good

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 00:04:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:
> As mentioned in my previous post, resetting root password to blank,
> and granting all privileges on *.* to mythtv at localhost, identified by
> mythtv, did not do squat.
>
> Mythtv-setup is very secretive about what credentials it uses to
> access mysql, really secretive about what it is trying to do, fails to
> create database mythconverg, does not really say so either, and then
> says "could not connect to database mythconverg". (because it is not
> there, duh).
>
> So I am basically reliving al the same BS that I went through the
> first time.

I didn't see any part of the original thread, but I had something
similarly confusing happen, party because there can be many mysql.txt
files from Myth laying around in an ubuntu setup. My suggestion would
be to do the following:

$ sudo updatedb
$ locate mysql.txt

You then will get a list similar to this.

/usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt.dist
/usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
/home/dbrieck/.mythtv/mysql.txt
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt
/root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

Make sure they either all have the same info, or they are all
symlinked to one location, preferably the one in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

I have no idea where this mess came from, but I certainly didn't do
anything special other than install the ubuntu packages.