[mythtv-users] Setting up mythtv password did no good

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jan 14 12:51:23 UTC 2009

Igor Chudov wrote:
> As mentioned in my previous post, resetting root password to blank,
> and granting all privileges on *.* to mythtv at localhost, identified by
> mythtv, did not do squat.
>
> Mythtv-setup is very secretive about what credentials it uses to
> access mysql, really secretive about what it is trying to do, fails to
> create database mythconverg, does not really say so either, and then
> says "could not connect to database mythconverg". (because it is not
> there, duh).
>
> So I am basically reliving al the same BS that I went through the
> first time.

mythtv-setup *does not* create the mysql database. It assumes that one already
exists, and has been initialised. As I understand it, mythtv-setup (and/or
mythbackend) /can/ create and/or upgrade tables, but the basic structure must
already exist.

mythtv-setup is not secretive about anything. To find the database, it uses the
contents of the ~/.mythtv/config.xml file, or the ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt file if
the former does not exist. If it can't find the database, the first screen
displayed asks you where the database is, and access credentials.

These items are then stored in the aforementioned text files for future use. If
you then /run/ mythtv (front-end or back-end) from a different user, it's going
to look for this information in a different place, hence confusion.

Creating a different user (tv) doesn't help the situation, either. What's wrong
with using the supplied 'mythtv' user? It's put there for exactly the purpose
you require.

--

Mike Perkins