[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jan 13 21:59:57 UTC 2009

Igor Chudov wrote:
> Trying to connect to mysql by using these credentials are successful:
>
> kinozal:tv:~==>echo SELECT NULL | mysql -umythtv -pcrap0 mythconverg
> NULL
> NULL
>
> So at this point the problem, wherever it is, is not about database
> credentials, unless I am missing something. Despite the annoyed tone
> of my previous message, I would like to solve my mythtv problems.

It might still be about database credentials.  What happens when you do:
"mysql -h127.0.0.1 -umythtv -pcrap0 mythconverg

Confusingly, mysql client's idea of what "localhost" is is not the same
as Myth's.  MythTV makes a network connection to the loopback address,
like any normal app, but mysql client uses a local UNIX socket.  It's
possible to have the database credentials set up in a way that works
with one but not the other.