[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 21:55:34 UTC 2009

> user tv's mythtv settings in mysql.txt, related to mysql, are as follows:
>
> DBUserName=mythtv
> DBPassword=crap0
> DBName=mythconverg

Where is that mysql.txt file located?  I'm using CentOS 5.2 on one of my
myth setups and Fedora 8 on the other.  I've noticed on both of them that
there need to be multiple mysql.txt files in various places.  What I did was
create the mysql.txt file in ~/.mythtv and then made symlinks from there to
all of the other places where mysql.txt needs to exist.

Here's all the locations of mysql.txt on my CentOS 5.2 backend:

/root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
/usr/.mythtv/mysql.txt
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt
/home/mythtv/mysql.txt
/var/lib/mythtv/mysql.txt
/.mythtv/mysql.txt

I would strongly recommend that you check to make sure you have a mysql.txt
file wherever the system is looking when starting the backend via init
scripts.  On many systems no environment exists when init scripts are run so
it will never find the mysql.txt file in your tv user's home directory nor
the same file in root's home dir.

Hope that helps,
Brad Benson