[mythtv-users] Firewire stops working -- and how to record twice?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 13 14:32:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> Alas, this is not my problem.  Restart of mythbackend does not fix it.

Hmm.  Interesting.  It seems that everyone with one of these boxes has
a slightly different experience.  I don't know what the variable is.

Are you getting the behavior that the show appears to record, and is
available from the watch recordings menu, but when you try to play it
it says that the recording could not be found and the only thing you
can do is cancel or delete the entry?

> I am wondering if it's my firewire chip (on mobo) or driver, and whether
> putting in a pci firewire card would help (I would have to lose my
> pvr-150 card to do that, but in theory I would not need it any more)

I had an Athlon system with firewire on a PCI card when I first got
this STB, but I upgraded to a Core2 Duo with firewire on the
motherboard about a month later.  This made no difference in the STB's
reliability or lack there of.

It's very frustrating.

Eric