[mythtv-users] Firewire stops working -- and how to record twice?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Jan 13 10:47:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:10:12AM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Brad Templeton
> <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recenty caved and got a Comcast Motorola DCH3200 HD set top box
> > with firewire/1394.   I want myth to be able to record HD cable
> > channels and this seems to be the only way to do it, short of the
> > more experimental wintv component recorder.
>
> Same here.  There's some more info on this or a similar problem here:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5278
>
> > So what fixes it?  Reboot of the linux box.   Reboot of the STB or
> > unplug/plug of the 1394 cable does not fix it.   firewire bus reset
> > from firewire-tester does not fix it.
>
> In my case, restarting the backend process (/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend
> restart) usually fixes the problem.  I don't need to reboot the whole
> box.

Alas, this is not my problem.  Restart of mythbackend does not fix it.
I am wondering if it's my firewire chip (on mobo) or driver, and whether
putting in a pci firewire card would help (I would have to lose my
pvr-150 card to do that, but in theory I would not need it any more)
or I could even consider a new system (been thinking of that anyways,
as the old 3ghz p4 which seemed very fast when I started no longer
cuts it on some 1080p h264 videos and a few other things.)

> The latest sources for mythprime/scanfw/mythchanger are here:
>
> https://wiki.edubuntu.org/majoridiot
>
> The thing I've noticed about scanfw is that it seems to be able to
> tune to an encrypted channel and then recover, while the mythtv
> cannot.  If I tune to one of the channels I know is encrypted using
> livetv, then the mythtv connection to the STB will be unusable for
> video capture until I restart the backend.

Will give this a try -- I think I may have found why I can't compile
the latest svn of mythtv, may be a problem in the backport of qt4.