[mythtv-users] HD Homerun questions

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jan 12 21:14:34 UTC 2009

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> I'm sort of thinking of an internediate secondary backend for the
>> HDHomeRun. It would have it's own local disk and would be a 'local'
>> frontend for the HDTV. That way anything recorded on the HD server in
>> general just goes to the big screen in the family room and no where
>> else. I think that keeps all that traffic off the network. Longer
>> term
>> I might consolidate everything into a new server when I get an
>> HDMI-type HDTV.
>>
>> The model breaks down a bit when I consider streaming HD content to
>> my
>> laptop or desktop machines in my office. (I work at home.) In that
>> case I either put up with a little network congestion once in awhile
>> or consider learning how to transcode HD material into some lower
>> level format for my remote machines. Is that possible? Can I keep a
>> copy of the original but also make an SD version for certain
>> machines?
>> I've never asked Myth to do anything other than how it's set up by
>> default. I suspect I might need to get smarted about all of this.
>>
>> To anyone who owns an HDHR I understand that it only tunes/decodes
>> unencrypted streams, but I'm wondering how many of those there are in
>> the Bay Area. (Or elsewhere) The Comcast web page lists about 75 or
>> so
>> (rough count by eye) channels in HD. Some of them are over the air
>> local stations so I'm expecting that these are available via the HDHR
>> but lots of them look like cable channels that I won't receive. I
>> don't think we record more than about 30% of our recordings from
>> network TV stations so I suppose I'll only be able to get that 30%,
>> correct?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Mark

Mark, you should call and see if Astound services your area. They
don't encrypt any of their channels so you can't get them via HDHR or
even Firewire with a STB. They don't service my street and don't have
any plans to, but if you have the option, it's a nice one. I know one
or two people on this list use them and are very happy with it.

-Brad