[mythtv-users] HD Homerun questions

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jan 12 21:06:51 UTC 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm sort of thinking of an internediate secondary backend for the
> HDHomeRun. It would have it's own local disk and would be a 'local'
> frontend for the HDTV. That way anything recorded on the HD server in
> general just goes to the big screen in the family room and no where
> else. I think that keeps all that traffic off the network. Longer term
> I might consolidate everything into a new server when I get an
> HDMI-type HDTV.
>
> The model breaks down a bit when I consider streaming HD content to my
> laptop or desktop machines in my office. (I work at home.) In that
> case I either put up with a little network congestion once in awhile
> or consider learning how to transcode HD material into some lower
> level format for my remote machines. Is that possible? Can I keep a
> copy of the original but also make an SD version for certain machines?
> I've never asked Myth to do anything other than how it's set up by
> default. I suspect I might need to get smarted about all of this.
>
> To anyone who owns an HDHR I understand that it only tunes/decodes
> unencrypted streams, but I'm wondering how many of those there are in
> the Bay Area. (Or elsewhere) The Comcast web page lists about 75 or so
> (rough count by eye) channels in HD. Some of them are over the air
> local stations so I'm expecting that these are available via the HDHR
> but lots of them look like cable channels that I won't receive. I
> don't think we record more than about 30% of our recordings from
> network TV stations so I suppose I'll only be able to get that 30%,
> correct?
>
> thanks,
> Mark

Bay Area, meaning SF?  I've heard the cableco around there is fairly
liberal with clearqam, of course Silicon Dust maintains a list of the
available ATSC and QAM channels on their site, searchable by zip code.
Now for retaining multiple copies of a recording, there has been talk of
doing that, as well as having the backend transcode on-the-fly, but
nothing has ever come out of it.  Any single recording is not going to
be more than 19mbps, and usually average closer to 16mbps, so while the
HDHR can possibly push 76mbps, having a wired backend could be
sufficient to alleviate your wireless bandwidth issues.