[mythtv-users] Obama Recommends Delay in Digital TV Switch

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:16:23 UTC 2009

> I'm not sure how this will save people money.  Either they have to spend
> $50 for a converter box, or they have to get a new TV at three times the
>  price of what analog TVs used to sell for.

I got two converter boxes for a total of $20 and there were enough
coupons for everyone with an antenna to get two.  They have not really
run out like the press says but there is a problem with the timing in
that they have to let some expire before re-issuing them.

In any event, it would not take long at all, even at $50, to recover
the cost of cable.

I would be surprised if anyone who could get analog TV could not get
DTV with an upgrade to their antenna system.  A pain and additional
expense perhaps but the quality of the picture would be worth it,
imho.

The benefit to the people comes from better cell phone service, open
source frequency bands, and other things that come from the better use
of our limited spectrum.  NTSC is extremely inefficient and we just
had to get rid of it.  We need the spectrum for other things.

The government gets some money for it, otherwise they give it away.  I
don't think you would want that.

Anyway, it is happening unless they totally screw it up.  So, the
question is do you disrupt everyones plans because some people didn't
get coupons soon enough or do you go ahead and do the switch over.

Who benefits from a delay?  Who couldn't get coupons?  I got two and
have had them for months.  It wasn't that hard to do.

I still say, if you agree that this should not be delayed, write your
congressmen.

Allen