[mythtv-users] Obama Recommends Delay in Digital TV Switch

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Jan 12 18:45:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, January 12, 2009 10:16 am, Allen Edwards wrote:
> I would be surprised if anyone who could get analog TV could not get
> DTV with an upgrade to their antenna system.  A pain and additional
> expense perhaps but the quality of the picture would be worth it,
> imho.

Not everyone has the option of upgrading their antenna system.

> The benefit to the people comes from better cell phone service, open
> source frequency bands, and other things that come from the better use
> of our limited spectrum.  NTSC is extremely inefficient and we just
> had to get rid of it.  We need the spectrum for other things.

I'm not convinced that deploying yet another cell network will help
things.  Part of the reason cell service is so bad in this country is we
need to build out every area three times because we have three competing,
incompatible cell standards.  Adding a fourth isn't going to improve the
situation, although it will probably result in more revenue for cell phone
manufacturers.