[mythtv-users] HD Homerun questions

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Jan 12 18:09:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Vintage Celeron. Still, if I Get the HDHR then all it can do is fail
> and I move on from there as necessary.

Won't know till you try. The old Celery's are a little on the slow side for
HD though. XvMC will work for OTA ATSC signals. If you think you might want
to play back something some complex in the future, like h264, get a card
that can do VDPAU. NVidia 8 or 9 series cards are reasonably priced and will
get the job done. Even PCI cards will work with VDPAU. The current MythTV
can't use it, but the next release will be able to. And if you want to deal
with the trunk releases, you can go that route as well.

> The machine currently has two PVR-150's in it. I suspect that asking
> it to record 2 SD channels, at the same time 2 HD channels, and
> possibly play back 3 streams to different TVs in the house is asking
> WAY too much of this little machine, but it might be fun to try it. As
> I say, I could possibly use the Mac Mini with the HDHR as a secondary
> backend.

Perhaps. It's all about network and I/O bandwidth at that point. The Mac
Mini would work well as a slave backend though. And more drives = more
bandwidth so that's always a good place to start. A firewire drive or two
should get the job done for you.