[mythtv-users] HD Homerun questions

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:26:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Vintage Celeron. Still, if I Get the HDHR then all it can do is fail
>> and I move on from there as necessary.
>

> Won't know till you try. The old Celery's are a little on the slow side for
> HD though. XvMC will work for OTA ATSC signals. If you think you might want
> to play back something some complex in the future, like h264, get a card
> that can do VDPAU. NVidia 8 or 9 series cards are reasonably priced and will
> get the job done. Even PCI cards will work with VDPAU. The current MythTV
> can't use it, but the next release will be able to. And if you want to deal
> with the trunk releases, you can go that route as well.

It's great info. thanks.

As for upgrading the old Compaq, I'm probably in a corner. It's
PCI-based and I'd be looking for an nVidia card with component output
AND VDPAU (whatever that is) if I tried to make the compaq do
everything. (I.e. - record HD as my backend and also retire the old
Pundit-R on the HDTV and let the Compaq play directly. That keeps HD
playback off the network which would be nice.

>> The machine currently has two PVR-150's in it. I suspect that asking
>> it to record 2 SD channels, at the same time 2 HD channels, and
>> possibly play back 3 streams to different TVs in the house is asking
>> WAY too much of this little machine, but it might be fun to try it. As
>> I say, I could possibly use the Mac Mini with the HDHR as a secondary
>> backend.
>
> Perhaps. It's all about network and I/O bandwidth at that point. The Mac
> Mini would work well as a slave backend though. And more drives = more
> bandwidth so that's always a good place to start. A firewire drive or two
> should get the job done for you.

Yeah, I'll think this out a bit. I've got a bunch of unused 1394 a/b
drives as well as a couple of USB. I can easily dedicate one of those
- Even 2 (1 1394, 1 USB) However I don't know how to make the Mac Mini
do component video so that puts the playback over the network.

Possibly I could put the Mac Mini on a separate private network, wired
or wireless, so that it doesn't directly collide with all the stuff
currently on the network, and then let the other machine do the
playback with a VDPAU card of some sort.

Cheers,
Mark