[mythtv-users] Obama Recommends Delay in Digital TV Switch

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 12 00:18:02 UTC 2009

On 01/11/2009 06:57 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> OK, I have to ask.  Now while I agree that sending "all the signal to
> the rich neighborhoods" is silly, there certainly appears to be
> occasions when commercials are much louder than the programming.  Our
> local Fox affiliate comes to mind as a broadcast that seems to be this
> way, especially during prime time.  So if audio levels aren't
> intentionally manipulated by some, what other things may cause this
> apparent behavior?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/85521#85521

Though I would say that info may be slightly dated in that the studies
were typically done with analog broadcasts.  Now that many are receiving
digital broadcasts, it seems there may be some unaddressed
issues--things like the fact that many commercials are coming from SDTV
sources and processed before inclusion in the digital stream as well as
the difference between the (mostly) stereo audio channels used in
commercials and the AC-3 used in many (especially primetime) TV shows
and present in US digital broadcasts (such as ATSC streams).

But, I'd guess if you measure it, you'll see that any "real" difference
is still small and only the perceived difference is large.

Mike